HISTORY OF KUNNAMKULAM
The ancient name of Kunnamkulam was Kunnamkulangara. In the Order of Kochi Kings dated AD 1763, written that in Kunnamkulangara-“Previous year about 108 shop got fire and this year again 11 shop rooms got fire. In order to prevent fire mishaps all shop owners of Kunnamkulangara town is directed to replace their roof with tiles immediately”. Traditionally it is believed that a cross was installed by Thomas the Apostle, at Chattukulangara (a part of Arthat in Kunnamkulam). During the invasion of Tippu Sultan, the Christians from Chattakulangara migrated to Kunnamkulam town. Kunnamkulam Municipal area was the headquarters of Talappilly taluk up to AD 1860.
HISTORY OF GPTC KUNNAMKULAM
Government Polytechnic College, Kunnamkulam, is the technical institution under government sector in Thrissur district is situated in Kizoor, Vysseri, 2.5 Km away from kunnamkulam town. The total land area available to the institute is 12.5 acres. Previously this institute was Govt. Technical High School and upgraded to Polytechnic College in the year 1994. The institution offers three year diploma course in Computer Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering and Tool and Die Engineering with an AICTE approved intake of 60 in each branch. In addition to the Diploma course, there are CDTP, CEC programs also conducted here. Moreover a unit of GIFD is also functioning in this institute.
Goverment Polytechnic College
Kizhoor P. O